Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Following the recent PlayStation 3 CFW2OFW Helper homebrew utility release, @DerfJagged let us know HERE that he's shared an updated PS3 Game Backup Injection guide using the CFW2OFW Helper tool for consoles on 4.70 Firmware and below.

Check out the PS3 Backup Injection tutorial below from Derf_Jagged on Reddit: Backup Injection on 4.70 Firmware

This guide allows you to run disc-based PS3 game backups and PSP backups, and to unlock timed trial demos ("C00 demos"). This method is similar to the outdated PeXploit, with the main difference being that this method allows disc-based PS3 game backups. The exploit, like PeXploit, only works on firmwares up to and including OFW 4.70.

PS3 games must have an update available for them in order to be compatible with this exploit.

All C00 games and PSP games should work without requiring updates.

Converting PS3 Games
  • You will need:

• All game files from disc version of your game (starts with a "B" as in BLUS12345)
    • CFW2OFW Helper
  1. Extract the contents of the CFW2OFW Helper "Release.zip" to a folder, and place the PS3_GAME folder from your game into this folder.

2. Launch "CFW2OFW Helper.exe". If your game is compatible, the application will automatically download and apply any updates and convert it into an OFW-compatible format (it will generate a LIC.DAT if needed, and edit the PARAM.SFO). The resulting game will be put into a folder of the game's name. Repeat this step for all desired games.

3. Move the new game folder(s) into "...\TrueAncestor BACKUP Injector\game".
Taking a System Backup
  1. Plug your FAT32 formatted USB storage device your console. Note that it must be at least the size of your PS3 hard drive.

2. On your PS3, navigate to the Settings column and select System Settings → Backup Utility → Backup. After it is done backing up, remove your storage device and plug it into your PC.
Injecting Games
  1. Extract the TrueAncestor Backup Retailer to a folder and run retailer.exe inside the TrueAncestor folder; it will generate more folders.

2. Browse to your USB storage device on your PC, and drag the numbered folder inside "X:\PS3\EXPORT\BACKUP\" to "\backup\" inside of the TrueAncestor folder.

3. Move your game folder (BLES/BLUS/BCUS/BCES) to "\game\" inside of the TrueAncestor folder.

4. Run retailer.exe and type "1" for "Select Backup Folder" and press enter. Type the number that appears next to your backup and press enter.

• To add a game, type "3" and press enter. Type number corresponding to your game and press enter.
    • To add a PSP or "c00" PKG, type "8" and press enter. Type number corresponding to your PKG and press enter.

5. Type "S" for "Inject to Selected Backup" and press enter to begin the injection. Allow it to finish.

6. Move the backup on to your storage device, and plug the storage device back into your PS3. Navigate to the Settings column and down to System Settings → Backup Utility → Restore. Select your backup from your flash drive and wait for it to complete.
PS3 Game Backup Injection (4.70 & Below) with CFW2OFW Helper Guide.jpg

Comments

Might as well get CFW if you'll go through all this trouble just to get games. Also, not sure who would still be on 4.70. I guess it's good for those stingy with their money.

Might as well get CFW if you'll go through all this trouble just to get games. Also, not sure who would still be on 4.70. I guess it's good for those stingy with their money.
While that is true and valid for people with a hackable model (and people who can shell out $70+ on a used 3.55 or below PS3), the same can't be said about people who own a later slim or super slim model. I'll try it out since I have an old 4.70 fat model, then later on when I have enough money to spend on it, I'll buy an E3 and downgrade the console.

After a lot of trial and error i think i have got this method to work. :) I have managed to inject lego starwars the force awakens onto my fat ps3 running system software version 4.00. After restoring the backup the game appeared on the XMB. But my dilemma is that when i try to run the game it says it won't run until i update the system software to version 4.75. :(

I am hesitant to do this because i am unsure whether i will be able to get it back to firmware 4.00 using system restore or if it will lock me on a higher firmware if i update. Everything appears to be in order i just haven't updated the firmware and run the game to confirm it works. I am going to see if i can get it to work on my version 4.76 slim ps3 using the same method to see if it will work on that.

If it appears on the xmb, there's a 50/50 chance it will work! I injected Persona 5 using this method and it appears, it just didn't run.

Word of advice: Try injecting another game using this method, one that you can actually run in your OFW. That'll at least let you know if your injection worked or not. Once you feel confident, try updating!

EDIT: I tried other games but not games such as it. It ended up not working for me and I realized the mistake I'd made too late.

The way i got it to work was slightly different from the tutorial in this thread. On my first attempt i copied the ps3 backup into the "backup" folder in True Ancestor and the game files into the "GAMES" folder. when i tried injecting i kept getting an error message saying that it couldn't find the patch data for the game and it will not run after injection.

After a bit of research i realised that i needed to download the game patch data and inject that as well as the game files. The game patch i downloaded was a .PKG file and i had to extract the files from within using PkgView. The files that i extracted from the game patch i placed in the "game" folder in True Ancestor, which stopped the error message about not being able to to find the game patch data. After that the injection went through smoothly without any errors. The only thing i used CFW2OFW for was to download the game patch file.

It was posted here.
It's translated from an EOL thread (I'm a native spanish speaker, the replies on the original post at EOL are as conflicted as people were when the kiosk method was revealed, but there seems to be people who got method 2 working).
There seems to be users "debunking" this method as it apparently does not work for games with the new lic.edat structure (a few people mention only games made before 2010 are working).

The way i got it to work was slightly different from the tutorial in this thread. On my first attempt i copied the ps3 backup into the "backup" folder in True Ancestor and the game files into the "GAMES" folder. when i tried injecting i kept getting an error message saying that it couldn't find the patch data for the game and it will not run after injection.

After a bit of research i realised that i needed to download the game patch data and inject that as well as the game files. The game patch i downloaded was a .PKG file and i had to extract the files from within using PkgView. The files that i extracted from the game patch i placed in the "game" folder in True Ancestor, which stopped the error message about not being able to to find the game patch data. After that the injection went through smoothly without any errors. The only thing i used CFW2OFW for was to download the game patch file.
While it should work fine, try injecting a game that requires a lower FW than 4.00 to see if your method works. If all else fails and you end up in an updated OFW, try the method I quoted above (keep in mind that apparently only games from before 2010 are working). I'm not the most experienced in this scene but if you need any help and I know something, I'm almost always online here :)

Thank you for your offer of help, it is much appreciated :) I'm willing to try games that require a lower firmware but i cant find a site that lists minimum firmware reqiurement for ps3 games. Any ideas?

Thank you for your offer of help, it is much appreciated :) I'm willing to try games that require a lower firmware but i cant find a site that lists minimum firmware reqiurement for ps3 games. Any ideas?
You got me there! What I did with my console before injecting Persona 5 was to update it to 4.70 (sweet spot OFW for injection) and tried Dragon's crown. It's not a small game by any means but it isn't that big either (around 1.5 GB IIRC), it works at that FW :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back