PS4 4.50 Beta Firmware Sign-Ups, and today the Sasuke Beta 2 PUP (Mirror by Senaxx / Mirror #2 by SilicaAndPina / Mirror #3 by monastry) has surfaced from a tester complete with feature details and pictures below!
Also from OhMyGod comes a screenshot of 'boost mode' for PS4 Pro which provides a higher frame rate for older PlayStation 4 games that don't have a Pro patch yet with a list of changed games available on ThisGenGaming.com.
Here's the official announcement from Sony VP John Koller, to quote: PS4 System Software Update 4.50 Features Detailed
Starting today, those of you selected for our beta program will get an early peek at some of the new features coming to PS4 with our next major system software update, version 4.50 (codenamed Sasuke). If you signed up for the beta and were chosen, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to download and get started.
Even if you’re not participating in the beta, we still wanted to give you a quick glance of the key features that will be rolling out with this update. We’re refining the user interface of PS4 even further, and adding highly requested features like external HDD support and custom wallpapers.
External HDD Support
It’s easy to upgrade the HDD that came with your PS4, but if you’re still looking for more storage space on the console, we’ve got you covered. With this update, you have the option to store content to an external HDD. Just plug a USB 3.0 HDD into your PS4, and voilà, you now have more space on the console.
PS4 System Software 4.50
This is compatible with HDDs up to 8TB in size. You can download and install applications directly to your extra storage, and the saved contents are easily manageable through the settings menu.
Also, all the applications saved in the external HDD will appear in the Content Launcher of the Home Screen so it’s easy to keep track of what apps you launched recently.
Please note: user save files are still stored locally on your PS4 HDD. Only games and applications are stored externally.
This update adds the ability to set your favorite in-game screenshot as the background image for PS4’s home screen. Drop-shadows on text, and the option to dim the Function Area, will help keep the system icons and texts on the home screen clearly visible even if the background image you selected is super bright.
You can also edit screenshots using Photo Mode in Sharefactory to make your one-and-only custom wallpaper.
Quick Menu Refresh
As you may know, in the last system update we overhauled the PS4 Quick Menu feature (the menu that appears after a long press of the PS button on DualShock 4).
This update brings additional improvements to make it even more accessible. Now the Quick Menu will cover even less of your gameplay screen, and you’ll be able to access handy Party features via Online Friends, like creating new parties, inviting friends, and joining parties, without transitioning to the separate Party app. The goal is to keep you in the game — and not stuck in menus.
Simplified Notification List
Before this update, the Notifications app had a variety of tabs on the left-hand side, like Game Alerts, Downloads, Uploads, and more. We’ve condensed all of the tabs to a single simplified list, making it easier to see all of your notifications all at-a-glance.
You can also quickly access the Notification settings from the Options Menu to turn off or customize which pop-up notifications appear on your screen, so you’re only being notified about your top priorities.
Post on PlayStation Network Activity Feeds
We’re adding the ability to post directly into the Activity Feed, which appears in a variety of places across the console, including What’s New. Under What’s New, you’ll see a new option to post things like text, screenshots, and gifs directly into your Activity Feed. You can also tag games or other users to make sure they don’t miss your post. It’s a great way to show off your greatest triumphs.
Tying into this new feature, Live from PlayStation will show screenshots that users uploaded to PSN as a Public Activity, so you can show off your best gameplay moments not only to your friends, but to users around the globe.
3D Blu-rays on PlayStation VR
If you’re a fan of 3D movies, and you own PlayStation VR, we’ve got good news — this update adds the ability to view 3D movies in stereoscopic 3D directly on the PS VR headset. Grab some popcorn and enjoy!
There are more features included in 4.50, so make sure to keep an eye out for additional info, including launch timing, in the weeks to come.
Finally, below is the full PS4 Firmware v4.50 changelog courtesy of XtremePS3.com, to quote:
Main features in version 4.50 beta update
Other features in version 4.50 beta
- You can now use a USB storage device to install applications or move applications from your PS4’s system storage. The following USB storage devices can be used. Select (Settings) > [Devices] > [USB Storage Devices], select the connected USB storage device and then format it for use as extended storage.
- External hard disk drive
- USB 3.0 or later
- 250 GB minimum, 8 TB maximum capacity
- The quick menu is now more user-friendly. Creating, joining and other party features are even easier to access.
- (Notifications) has been redesigned. All notifications now appear in a single list.
- You can now use screenshots to customise the background of your home screen and function screen. Select (Settings) > [Themes] > [Select Theme] > [Custom].
- You can now post screenshots directly to activities, such as those shown in [What’s New]. Press the SHARE button, select [Screenshots] and then select [Activities] as the upload destination. Also, you can now tag games and fellow players.
- You can now post animated GIFs to activities and social applications.
- You can now make a party public or private, even after the party has been created. Select (Party) > [Party Settings] > [Party Privacy].
- PlayStation VR now supports Blu-ray 3D™ content.
Thanks to @ArthurBishop, @Carnavs, @Figure03, @Jeff, @Plankton, @Senaxx and @SilicaAndPina in the PSXHAX Shoutbox for the news!
- As a parent or guardian, you can now easily create sub accounts for your children when creating your master account.
- You can now upload or download saved data directly from the home screen. Press the OPTIONS button and then select [Upload/Download Saved Data].
- You now have the option to share screenshots on PlayStation Network. When sharing, you can also adjust privacy settings.
- You can now change the colour of your profile screen to match the cover image. On your profile screen, select (Options) > [Change Cover Image] > [Change Background Colour].
- When reporting inappropriate content, you can now preview your report before sending.
- Cinematic mode image quality on PlayStation VR has been improved.