Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS4 Jailbreaking       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Oct 24, 2016 at 3:37 AM       103      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today at the GeekPwn 2016 Carnival in Shanghai Station the Pavilion Safety Research Lab shared a PS4 4.01 Linux installation / Ksploit demonstration exploit video via Chinese site Changting Technology Security Lab! :D

In the video they navigate their PS4 Web browser to http://chaitin.cn/ps4 which currently just shows their video instead of their 'Sony PlayStation4 Jailbreak' so hopefully more details on this PS4 jailbreak method will follow soon! :ninja:

Check it out below with some related Tweets from Joonie86, who also notes they played Mario using an NES emulator as follows:

Thanks to @mcmrc1 for sharing the news in the PSXHAX Shoutbox! :cool:
PS4 4.01 Linux Installation  Ksploit Demo at GeekPwn 2016.png

GeoHotz PS4 Jailbreak.jpg

Sony PlayStation4 Jailbreak.jpg

Comments

I've seen it @mcmrc1 Okay @defense taken note. but people over twitter are calling it a fake video. we cannot be too cautious. and i for one HOPE IT'S REAL. but i just doubt it at this point.
  • in my best defense. they probably did hack something. but it was probably the reason they were on stage him. i don't even know if that was a PS4 screen booting up.
  • because the Linux load-time took quite a bit shorter than it previously should have.
  • if you watch the video i posted. it takes quite a bit longer. for them to load the Linux.
  • this was also a different distro mind you. @defense i'm not ruling out completely.
  • i just want us to face facts in CASE it is fake and it looks more and more fake to a lot of the people on twitter than are known for PlayStation development with each passing second.
  • just go there and you'll see.
  • type ps4 4.01 into twitter. should come up. i hope this gave a bit of insight.
  • next time i think we should thoroughly examine the evidence before posting stuff though because ALMOST EVERYONE IS calling BS on it.
  • also this should be a routine thing. not a once in a blue moon kind of thing. we always need to fact check just make sure guy's.

http://www.hksilicon.com/articles/1204621 there is a good read about the presentation... i copied the text about the ps4 into google translate...

------Google Translate-----
Ps old and new crackers on the same stage, Sony cry

Wonder boy George Hotz was the world's first person to crack ps3. Since then, the Sony manufacturers bitter experience, the introduction of the seemingly all-conquering ps4, the results of today's Sony manufacturers have been invited to the great 2016 venue, watched long-pavilion technology team crack ps4, tragedy, Sony Of the manufacturers next to this also sat its old friend George Hotz.

Pavillion's team found a code execution vulnerability in the ps4 kernel, which exploited the special web pages that were tampered with network traffic in ps4 to attack the web browser engine and the operating system kernel, triggering a flaw in the kernel state to execute arbitrary Code to boot the linux kernel to run the game on the steam platform.

In simple terms, is the pavilion technology team to obtain the full authority of the ps4, so that the whole people tv beautiful anchor broadcast live on ps4 played a super Mary. Finally, the success of the break they are still on stage with George Hotz to a close photo, the exchange of the experience of breaking ps3 and ps4, which is to be dead Sony?

http://www.hksilicon.com/articles/1204621 there is a good read about the presentation... i copied the text about the ps4 into google translate...
Here's the Google translation on the PS4 part:

"3. PS new and old crackers on the same stage, Sony cry

Wonder boy George Hotz was the world's first person to crack ps3. Since then, the Sony manufacturers bitter experience, the introduction of the seemingly all-conquering ps4, the results of today's Sony manufacturers have been invited to the great 2016 venue, watched the pavilion technology team cracked ps4, tragedy, Sony Of the manufacturers next to this also sat its old friend George Hotz.

Pavillion's team found a code execution vulnerability in the ps4 kernel, which exploited the special web pages that were tampered with network traffic in ps4 to attack the web browser engine and the operating system kernel, triggering a flaw in the kernel state to execute arbitrary Code to boot the linux kernel to run the game on the steam platform.

In simple terms, is the pavilion technology team to obtain the full authority of the ps4, so that the whole people tv beautiful anchor broadcast live on ps4 played a super Mary. Finally, the success of the break they are still on stage with George Hotz to a close photo, the exchange of the experience of breaking ps3 and ps4, which is to be dead Sony?"

It's a demo. Could be they cut the video to save time. as seen as the screen skips to linux where he enters the command to boot. The pose which he's in while sitting could indicate he's been waiting on it to load.

Just a thought. Really need that nes emulator

Agreed. Whether it's legit or not, if it never actually gets released that leaves it in the category it's currently in.. just a demo video.

I find it hard to believe that at an established tech conference event they would bother faking a kernel exploit around all their peers in person... if they were trying to make a name for themselves in the hacking world that wouldn't be the way to do it.

Add to that the Tweets from Joonie of the Rebug Team who believes it's the real deal reinforcing credence in my opinion.

I do agree that videos by nature can be debunked many ways with the editing hardware / software available today, but since this was done live in front of a large group of educated and talented people odds are it is what it appears to be.

Until the Chinese Team (or GeoHot, jk :p) share more on it I spose we'll all be left wondering. :whistle:

Conspiracy head on, I had my doubts on the vid from the start. Haven't updated and still won't.

Where it would be crazy to pull such a stunt at that kind of event, it's massive publicity for the company they work for. geo is also a bit of a joker (his rap vid for example)
Now, him appearing gives the vid even more credit too.
He would be borderline on whatever agreement he had to make with sony after the ps3 lawsuit

Sony could well be involved in this, think about it, they could have just convinced the 3.55 ofw crowd to update to 4.01 and create such a small nr of users like what we have with ppl on 1.76

Just my thoughts...

With GeoHot being there live witnessing the demonstration first-hand I wonder if anyone authoritative has reached out to him directly to confirm what can be seen in video.

As you mentioned before he's not involved in the PS4 exploit and attended for his own unrelated project, so although Sony has an anti-hacking agreement with him it may not preclude him from sharing his opinion on a video... would be interesting indeed.

That kexploit on 4.01 is certainly not a fake, but:
- this kexploit will be released ?
- What about the SAMU encryption of games ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back