fail0verflow revealed PS4 Linux on 4.05 Firmware and continued to school the PlayStation 4 scene on everything from Adieu to Kernel Dumping which ignited the 4.05 era of exploiting, jailbreaking and once again PS4 Linux!
Many may recall seeing a demonstration from the Tencent Security Conference, and according to Rebug developer @Joonie early PS4 Linux Loader work was missing the now released 4.05 Kernel Exploit.
While many developers including @jocover have been working (405_linux_loader.bin - 21 KB) on a PS4 Linux Loader (GIT), PlayStation 4 developer @valentinbreiz (Twitter) who brought us the 4.05 PS4 Payload Sender last week was able to get PS4 Linux running on 4.05 with PS4-Linux-Loader.bin payload testing by @Darbness (Twitter) who shared a 4.05 PS4 Linux demo video below!
Download: PS4-Linux-Loader-master.zip / ps4linux.rar (7.0 MB) / ps4linux.rar (Mirror) / PS4-Linux-Loader.bin (1.0 MB) / PS4Linux_Fedora.zip by fail0veflow (2.27 GB - Build Pass is 1 via @MrCarlesX) / GIT / Live Demo / PS4 Linux on Slim 4.05 Firmware by ecHs
From the README.md, to quote: PS4 Linux Loader - A simple payload that lets you run Linux on your 4.05 PS4
WORKS! With IDC's exploit.
Hosted here for your use: http://darbness.com/ps4.
How to build
I use https://github.com/idc/ps4-payload-*** to compile it. You also need to compile https://github.com/fail0verflow/ps4-kexec and place 'kexec.bin' into this folder. Compile kexec with 'make CFLAG='-DPS4_4_05 -DKASLR -DNO_SYMTAB'.
How to use
You need a FAT32 formatted USB drive plugged in on any PS4's USB port with the following files on the root directory : bzImage and initramfs.cpio.gz. You can download them here.
Then you will need to send the payload (PS4-Linux-Loader.bin) to your PS4. For that go to your PS4 web browser, go to darbness.com/ps4 and send the payload to your PS4 using netcat or other.. (You can also use my tool: PS4 Payload Sender).
Credits and links
- Fix ASLR (that causes a random successful boot)
- Clean code
Thanks to 2much4u, Darbnes and jiangwei.
- For the kexec execution: https://github.com/kR105-zz/PS4-dlclose/tree/linux-loader
- For kexec: https://github.com/fail0verflow/ps4-kexec
- For more explanations: https://cturt.github.io/ps4-3.html
- For executing code in kernel space: https://github.com/VV1LD/405-KernelDumper
Spoiler Finally, here's some more PlayStation 4 Linux guides for those interested:
- PS4 Linux Installation Guide
- How to Run PS4 Linux Ubuntu Guide with Video Demo
- How to Install Steam (Not SteamOS) on PS4 Linux Guide by OsirisX
- PS4 Linux Pre-configured Distro for Emulators & More from D-ecks
- Native Linux / PS4 Development on Windows Tutorial by Kiwidog
- Fedora Linux on PS4 1.76 with Debug Settings & Steam by EdiTzZ MoDz