fail0verflow revealed PS4 Linux on 4.05 Firmware and continued to school the PlayStation 4 scene on everything from Adieu to Kernel Dumping which ignited the 4.05 era of exploiting, jailbreaking and once again PS4 Linux followed by PS4 Linux Loader 4.55!
Many may recall seeing a demonstration from the Tencent Security Conference, and according to Rebug developer @Joonie early PS4 Linux Loader work was missing the now released 4.05 Kernel Exploit.
While many developers including @jocover have been working (405_linux_loader.bin - 21 KB) on a PS4 Linux Loader (GIT), PlayStation 4 developer @valentinbreiz (Twitter) who brought us the 4.05 PS4 Payload Sender last week was able to get PS4 Linux running on 4.05 with PS4-Linux-Loader.bin payload testing by @Darbness (Twitter) who shared a 4.05 PS4 Linux demo video below!
Download: PS4-Linux-Loader-master.zip / ps4linux.rar (7.0 MB) / ps4linux.rar (Mirror) / PS4-Linux-Loader.bin (1.0 MB) / PS4Linux_Fedora.zip by fail0veflow (2.27 GB - Build Pass is 1 via @MrCarlesX) / GIT / Live Demo / PS4 Linux on Slim 4.05 Firmware by ecHs / PS4 Linux Loader 4.55
From the README.md, to quote: PS4 Linux Loader - A simple payload that lets you run Linux on your 4.05 PS4
WORKS! With IDC's exploit.
Hosted here for your use: http://darbness.com/ps4.
How to build
I use https://github.com/idc/ps4-payload-*** to compile it. You also need to compile https://github.com/fail0verflow/ps4-kexec and place 'kexec.bin' into this folder. Compile kexec with 'make CFLAG='-DPS4_4_05 -DKASLR -DNO_SYMTAB'.
How to use
You need a FAT32 formatted USB drive plugged in on any PS4's USB port with the following files on the root directory : bzImage and initramfs.cpio.gz. You can download them here.
Then you will need to send the payload (PS4-Linux-Loader.bin) to your PS4. For that go to your PS4 web browser, go to darbness.com/ps4 and send the payload to your PS4 using netcat or other.. (You can also use my tool: PS4 Payload Sender).
Credits and links
- Fix ASLR (that causes a random successful boot)
- Clean code
Thanks to 2much4u, Darbnes and jiangwei.
- For the kexec execution: https://github.com/kR105-zz/PS4-dlclose/tree/linux-loader
- For kexec: https://github.com/fail0verflow/ps4-kexec
- For more explanations: https://cturt.github.io/ps4-3.html
- For executing code in kernel space: https://github.com/VV1LD/405-KernelDumper
Running Linux On 4.55 (PS4 Jailbreak)
Finally, here's some more PlayStation 4 Linux guides for those interested:
- PS4 Linux Installation Guide
- How to Run PS4 Linux Ubuntu Guide with Video Demo
- How to Install Steam (Not SteamOS) on PS4 Linux Guide by OsirisX
- PS4 Linux Pre-configured Distro for Emulators & More from D-ecks
- Native Linux / PS4 Development on Windows Tutorial by Kiwidog
- Fedora Linux on PS4 1.76 with Debug Settings & Steam by EdiTzZ MoDz
- PS4 Linux on Slim 4.05 Firmware by ecHs Installation Guide